The contents of this page, and all links appearing on this page, do not represent the positions, views or intents of the U.S. Government, or the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The start of a new journey...

Today at 4:30am I embarked on my upcoming new journey in life. My parents drove me to Reno airport so my flight left at 6am to LAX. After a rushed goodbye and tears from my parents, I boarded the plane. After I arrived, I had a hectic run around to find my gate to depart to Miami at 9:15 because the people in Reno gave me the wrong gate. So I arrived to the real gate at last call to board my 5 hour nonstop flight to Miami which is where my staging is taking place. Staging is basically an orientation to the Peace Corps for all the volunteers going to the same country right before you actually depart so you meet one another. So I arrived in Miami greeted by the sounds of Cuban music, spanish spoken everywhere, and the uncomfortable, hot, humidity. But so pretty. I arrived at airport where we are to stay and turned in forms and met other volunteers. All of them seem awesome and we shared our anxieties. One girl has even lived in North Lake Tahoe the past three years...what are the chances?
So....I am here in Miami, probably last luxury hotel with air conditioning in awhile. Tomorrow we will have orientation from 8am-3pm then depart to Miami International for our 8 hour flight to Sao Paolo, Brazil, followed by a 2 hour flight to Asuncion, Paraguay. I know that I will miss my family and friends dearly in the states, but I am anxious for this upcoming journey with my new friends, working as an environmental educator...
Until my next update in Paraguay, nos vemos...
ps. my email is: jwacky@gmail.com

2 comments:

Dempsey said...

Sounds like you're already having a great experience and I hope you continue to throughout the rest of your trip! I'm looking forward to pics and stuff from Paraguay : )

Be safe and have fun!

Unknown said...

This is going to be a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy:)